Bart's Bash on track to be World's Largest Sailing Race Ever
Bart’s Bash aims to set an amazing new Guinness World Record, with over 1,000 sailing clubs taking part in ‘The Largest Sailing Race’ in the world ever. Sailors the world over are signing up to this historic event, in memory of Andrew 'Bart' Simpson, a much loved British sailor who died in a training accident in May 2013.
The vital date for your diary is 21st September 2014. If you want to participate, sign up at http://www.bartsbash.co.uk/ as soon as possible to allow clubs to make plans for the day, and ensure safety measures are met.
Bart's Bash organisers at the Andrew Simpson Sailing Foundation have just announced the finalised Guinness World Record criteria which sailing clubs have to comply with to count towards the world record attempt, and for participants to be ratified as world record holders.
An important update is that for a race to count towards the record it must have 25 boats taking part, rather than 25 sailors as previously communicated.
The newly finalised criteria include:
• There must be at least 25 participants, i.e. 25 boats taking part at each location. If a club has less than 25 participating boats, it will not be able to participate in the Guinness attempt, however we still welcome the club’s participation in the Bart’s Bash race and the club will still be able to submit the results for entry into the worldwide leaderboard.
• The race start time and finish time must take place between 00.00 on the 21st September GMT and 23.59 on the 21st September GMT.
• The distance of the course will need to be measured accurately using GPS. The course must be at least 1km long. This can be multiple laps of a shorter course.
• The race must be at least 15 minutes long.
• The race will need to have a single start and finish point (start line one side of the committee boat and finish line the other side is acceptable).
• All clubs wishing to enter the Guinness world record attempt must have 2 independent witnesses.
The full list of requirements is included in the updated Event Maker document – please click here to download it.
Bart’s Bash at the PSP Southampton Boat Show
In support of the Andrew Simpson Sailing Foundation the PSP Southampton Boat Show will be hosting its own Bart’s Bash event on Sunday 21 September 2014.